Reading business publications is an important part of your business education and career. A well-read student who’s familiar with current world, national, and economic news and trends can apply theory learned in the classroom to real world events and hold up his or her own end of a conversation in a classroom, job interview or office.
You could use publications’ Web sites to read recent articles, but often, current issues are only available with a subscription. Well, through the Walsh library, you have a subscription, of sorts. You can stop by the library to read print copies of business magazines and newspapers, or you can read them online, through the Walsh portal.
Students may be familiar with use of the Walsh databases to research business topics, but did you know there’s an easy way to access current issues of the major business publications on a daily basis? Factiva gives you access to The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, Barron’s, and Forbes. Here’s how to read the current issues:
- Sign into the portal, and click on Library, then databases.
- Click on Factiva.
- Click on News Pages, near the top of the screen.
You will land on a page that features today’s issue of The Wall Street Journal, New York Times and Washington Post, as well as Barron’s and Forbes. The landing page features the front page articles of today’s publication. By clicking on the down arrows, you can select another day (up to 2 weeks ago) and another section. Note that you have access to the Wall Street Journal and Barrons’ news and feature articles, but not financial data.
Additional business magazines, such as The Economist, Harvard Business Review and Bloomberg BusinessWeek, can be found using the EJournals link in the list of databases. Here’s how:
- From the list of databases, click on “Ejournals available on the library’s online databases.”
- Type in the name of the magazine you’re looking for in the search box at top left. For this example, try Fortune. Click search.
- You will be taken to a results page that lists the database(s) where you can read your magazine. In the case of Fortune, the results show it’s available in Ebsco Business Source Elite.
- Click on the link to the appropriate database listed in the results. You will be taken to a page from which you can access current and past issues of the magazine.
If you need help accessing current business publications or other library resources, stop by the library, call 248-823-1228, or email email@example.com