About Walsh | Locations | Faculty | Calendar | Media Room | Contact Us    Bookmark and Share
Student Login
History

History

1922 On July 7, Mervyn B. Walsh purchases a franchise from Pace & Pace in New York City to offer the Pace Accounting Method exclusively in Detroit.  On September 18, 23 students begin the first Walsh Institute classes in two rooms on the sixth floor of the Capitol Theatre Building. Tuition is $60.
1925 Michigan extends regulation of public accounting beyond passing the CPA exam to include meeting practical experience and education requirements.
1928 Enrollment reaches 286 students. Seven graduates organize the Walsh Institute Alumni Association.
1930 Alumna Grace Dimmer becomes Michigan’s first woman to earn the CPA designation.
1947 Walsh Institute marks its 25th anniversary. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, enrollment reaches 1,508 at 120 Madison, as students call the Institute. Today, the completely renovated building is the Detroit Opera House.
1965 On June 30, Mervyn B. Walsh retires as president and William C. Stewart, a CPA and college administrator, succeeds him. Walsh trustees determine that Walsh Institute will change its educational charter by having its own building, offering an accounting curriculum approved by the State Board of Accountancy, and receiving State Board of Education approval.
1968 On December 31, Walsh Institute of Accountancy becomes Walsh College of Accountancy and Business Administration, an upper-division college offering coursework for juniors and seniors who finish two years at a community college. The College purchases 20 acres of farmland from Morris Wattles for a new campus in Troy, near the community colleges from which it hopes to attract students.
1969 Ground is broken for a new 10,000-square-foot Troy campus building.
1970 Jeffery W. Barry succeeds William Stewart as the third president of Walsh College. The State of Michigan authorizes Walsh College to grant degrees. The Troy campus opens for classes on September 10.
1972 The College offers a Bachelor of Accountancy degree.
1973 The College adds a Bachelor of Business Administration degree, and enrollment climbs as programs gain acceptance among community colleges. 
1974 Walsh offers its first graduate degree: a Master of Science in Taxation, with a financial and accounting, rather than legal, curriculum. A 7,400 square-foot addition to the Troy campus triples the size of the library and adds two lecture halls, a small bookstore, and a student lounge.
1975 The NCA accredits Walsh College degree programs.
1978 A Port Huron campus is opened near St. Clair County Community College. The Troy campus is expanded.

1980 

The NCA extends Walsh’s accreditation for 10 years, the maximum allowable timespan. The Master of Science in Professional Accountancy (now the Master of Science in Accountancy) is offered.

1982 

The Troy campus is expanded by 10,400 square feet to include a new library, faculty offices, a skylight lounge, and computer labs. The College adds the Computer-Based Information Systems major to the Bachelor of Business Administration program. Walsh College marks its 60th anniversary with a Founder’s Day celebration.

1984

On January 31, Walsh Institute founder Mervyn B. Walsh dies at the age of 93.

1986 

Banking and financial services deregulation leads Walsh College to offer a Master of Science in Finance degree. The College offers extension courses at Macomb Community College, Royal Oak’s Shrine High School, and Detroit’s Renaissance Center.

1988 

Marketing is offered as a new major within the Bachelor of Business Administration degree. Enrollment exceeds 2,500 students as the College offers classes at the MSU Management Center, Port Huron, Warren, Farmington Hills, Detroit, and Troy.

1989 A Master of Science degree in Management is offered as area businesses begin to require graduate education in Management for advancement. Enrollment reaches 3,300 students. A capital campaign is launched to increase the scholarship program and the size of the facility.
1990 A $4.2-million addition to the Troy campus is completed, adding 33,000 square feet and renovating 9,000 square feet. A cafeteria is added, as well as a new bookstore, computer lab, library, and faculty and administrative space.
1991 David A. Spencer becomes Walsh College’s fourth president, on the retirement of Jeffery W. Barry. Walsh signs on as a partner institution to offer courses at Macomb Community College’s University Center in Clinton Township.
1992 Four Walsh College women are among the top 100 scorers on the CPA exam in the United States. Eija Roulson, MSPA ’93, earns the highest score on the Michigan CPA exam and the second highest score in the United States.
1993 After surveying students, faculty, community leaders and businesses, administrators decide to build a new campus in Novi.
1996 Walsh College offers a Master of Science degree in Information Management and Communication in response to changing workplace needs.
1997 Walsh College observes its 75th anniversary with business discussions and speakers, a book entitled The History of Walsh College, a dinner, and a Homecoming at the Troy campus coinciding with the day of the first Walsh Institute lecture.
1998 Walsh College launches the MBA program. The 35,000-square-foot Novi campus opens with a capacity of 2,200 students. The College offers its first online courses.
1999 Keith A. Pretty is named the fifth president of Walsh College.
2000 The College launches a long-range strategic action plan to see it through the next century. A Master of Arts in Economics and a Master of Science in Business Information Technology are offered.
2001 The NCA permits Walsh to offer full online degree programs and provides a full 10-year extension on its accreditation.
2002 The College revises the Accounting program to fulfill the 150 hours of instruction required by the State Board of Certified Public Accountants and allows Accounting students to receive both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The Michigan Association of CPAs names Accounting Department Chair Richard D. Berschback "Educator of the Year".
2003 The National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security designate Walsh College as a Center of Academic Excellence for Information Assurance Education.The Bachelor of Science in Business Information Technology and the Master of Science in Managing Manufacturing Operations degrees are offered.
2004 Walsh College names its first Adams Entrepreneurial Fellows through a publicly funded program where entrepreneurial students/alumni are paired with local business leaders who employ and mentor them for a year. The Walsh College Foundation is officially formed for the acceptance of charitable gifts.
2005 The Master of Science in Information Assurance degree is offered entirely online.
2006 Stephanie W. Bergeron, vice chair of the Board of Trustees, is named interim president of Walsh College. A Doctor of Management in Executive Leadership, the first doctoral degree, is offered. Ground is broken for a 36,000-square-foot, two-story addition named for Walsh President Emeritus Jeffery Barry, who died July 8.
2007 The Board of Trustees elects Stephanie W. Bergeron as the sixth president and chief executive officer of Walsh College.
2008 The Jeffery W. Barry Center addition opens for classes at the Troy campus.
2009 Walsh College becomes a partner with St. Clair County Community College to offer courses at its University Center in Port Huron and begins offering courses at the Wayne County Community College District University Square in Harper Woods. The Master of Management and dual MBA and Master of Science in Finance degrees are offered.
2010 New York's Blackstone Charitable Foundation announces that Walsh College and Wayne State University will share a $2 million grant to initiate Blackstone LaunchPad, a program to promote new entrepreneurs and advance the community's economic growth. The NCA reaccredits Walsh College for the maximum 10-year timeframe. A Business 360 program launches to provide principles, concepts, and common business tools to business people who don’t have formal training.
 2011  The NCA reaccredits Walsh College for the maximum 10-year timeframe. A Business 360 program launches to provide principles, concepts, and common business tools to business people who don’t have formal training.
 2012  The 90th anniversary of Walsh College. At January Commencement ceremonies, the College grants its first doctoral degree. The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) accredits the Master of Management and MBA/MSF degrees. With support from the 2010 Blackstone LaunchPad grant, 45 student and alumni businesses start or grow to the next level. The Master of Science in Taxation is ranked 14th in the U.S. in a Tax Talent survey of 3,000 tax professionals.

DEGREE AND
CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS

Walk-in Wednesdays

Express admissions, register for classes, and meet with an advisor.
Call 1-800-WALSH-01 or email admissions@walshcollege.edu

Walsh College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.ncahlc.org; phone: 312-263-0456). Specific degree programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP, www.acbsp.org) and the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE, www.iacbe.org).

© 2014 Walsh College. All Rights Reserved. Pencil Click here to view Walsh College’s Privacy Policy.

Walsh College of Accountancy and Business Administration is not affiliated with Walsh University