Thursday, May 29, 2014
Walsh College Will Present Special Achievement Awards to Eight Students From Detroit Tri-County Area
Eight Walsh College students from Wayne, Macomb, and Oakland counties will receive special academic achievement awards in areas of finance, taxation, and accounting at the College’s 103rd Commencement on Saturday, June 21, 2014 at Zion Christian Church, Troy.
“We’re proud of the recognition Walsh College students earn both inside and outside the College,” said Dr. David Shields, executive vice-president and chief academic officer. “It’s a tribute to their scholarship and their achievement beyond expectations in Walsh’s challenging undergraduate and graduate business programs.”
The recipients, their academic standing, hometowns, and awards are:
- Lauren E. Hanna, (Master of Science in Taxation, 2013), Grosse Pointe Shores. Stanley W. Smith Taxation Manuscript Award. Each year, this award is bestowed on a Master of Science in Taxation student who has written an outstanding paper or thesis in the field of taxation.
- Nancy Winkler Spalding, (Master of Science in Taxation candidate), Grosse Pointe Woods. Everett Hawley, Jr. Taxation Award. The award promotes accounting and taxation through education. Named for the former chair of the Walsh College Board of Trustees, the award annually honors a graduate Taxation student for academic achievement.
- Harry Frederick Cook, (Master of Science in Accountancy, 2014), Warren. Bureau of National Affairs Graduate Accounting Award. This award recognizes an outstanding Master of Science in Accountancy student for his or her academic work and contribution to the College.
- Derek D. Baker, (Bachelor of Business Administration candidate), Rochester Hills, and Ryan J. Drews, (Dual Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Finance candidate), Rochester. Financial Executives Institute (FEI) Award. Every year, the FEI Detroit chapter recognizes finance students for outstanding academic performance.
- Rachael M. Saferian, (Master of Science in Accountancy candidate), Commerce Township. Firman H. Hass Writing Award. The Detroit Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants established this award to recognize a graduate student whose writing contributes to the accounting body of knowledge. It is named in honor of a former trustee and honorary doctoral recipient.
- Kelly M. Steward, (Bachelor of Accountancy candidate), Birmingham. Walter B. Fisher Award for Excellence in Accounting. This award is presented to a student who achieves a 3.5 or better grade point average in the Bachelor of Accountancy program. The recipient must also contribute to Walsh College or the accounting profession through tutoring, club leadership, community service, or other activities. It is named for the chair emeritus of the Walsh College Board of Trustees.
- Yulia Zelenskaya, (Master of Science in Taxation, 2014), Troy. Research Institute of America Graduate Tax Award. This award is given to an outstanding Master of Science in Taxation student for his or her academic work and contribution to Walsh College.
In addition to receiving certificates of recognition, the students will be honored by having their names engraved on plaques in the Founder’s Court on the Troy Campus.
For more information about Walsh College, visit www.walshcollege.edu.