Welcome to Financial Aid

About Financial Aid

As a student, you have many options to finance your education, including grants, loans, and scholarships that come from federal, state, or privately funded sources.

Students pursuing an undergraduate, graduate, or certificate program are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Remember to list Walsh College on the top line in Step 6 of the FAFSA. Our Federal School Code is 004071.

Financial aid is determined using the results of the FAFSA. Walsh receives FAFSA results on a weekly basis. To receive a financial aid offer, a student must be an active or admitted Walsh student. Most students will their financial aid offer within 5-10 business days from receipt of their FAFSA results. Offers are sent to the student’s Walsh email. The Financial Aid office may ask for additional information before a financial aid offer can be made. It is important that the student respond to a request for additional information upon notification by the Financial Aid office.

For purposes of financial aid offers, Walsh defines its academic year as three terms: fall, winter, and spring. Need-based federal and state grant aid is offered for those three terms with summer term grant eligibility determined at the beginning of the summer term. Federal loans are offered for the fall, winter, spring and summer terms.

Important Update

If you plan to enroll at Walsh during the 2020-2021 academic year (fall 2020 – summer 2021) and you would like to be considered for financial aid, the 2020-2021 FAFSA is required. If you have not already done so, complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. Our school code is 004071 and should be included in the "School Section" of your FAFSA. 

Bachelor degree seeking students: If you wish to be considered for financial aid from the State of Michigan you must complete their FAFSA by Sunday, March 1, 2020.

For the 2020-2021 FAFSA you will be reporting income from 2018. Make sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the income portion of the FAFSA. 

Financial Aid & Scholarships

There are many options to help offset the costs of earning a degree. Learn about Financial Aid services and scholarships available at Walsh.

Financial Aid and Scholarships | Walsh

Already have an account? Log in here.

We're here to help

Our team is happy to assist you with sorting through the many financial aid options that are out there to suit your specific needs.

Call usEmail

Who is eligible for financial aid?

  • Has financial need
  • Enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program
  • U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident (which requires a copy of an I-151 or I-551 card)
  • Has a high diploma, GED or at least 60 acceptable transfer credit hours from a community college to Walsh
  • Is performing Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Is NOT in default of any Federal Student Aid program (Perkins, Pell, SEOG, Stafford)
  • Is registered with Selective Service, if required
Additional requirements:
  • Must be enrolled in a degree program or an approved certificate program.
  • Master's degree students must be enrolled in master's level courses.
  • Courses taken as an audit are not eligible for financial aid

How do I apply for a Walsh Scholarship?

Scholarships are limited to prospective, incoming students.  Students currently enrolled at Walsh are not eligible to be considered for scholarship funding.

Prospective, incoming undergraduate and graduate students may complete the scholarship application. This application is active for the academic year. You will need to apply by the deadline date listed on the scholarship application.

Eligible continuing scholarship recipients will be mailed a renewal scholarship application each year in late May or earlier June. You will be asked to indicate what semesters you plan on attending for that academic year.

> Learn more

Who is considered to be an independent student according to the Federal Government for the 2019-2020 award year?

  • Born before January 1, 1996
  • Graduate or professional student
  • A married student
  • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • An orphan or ward of the court
  • Someone with legal dependents that receive more than half of his/her support from the applicant.

You are considered to be a dependent student if you do not meet at least one of these criteria. Possible exceptions could be: if both of your parents were deceased, if you were in a legal guardianship, and if you were homeless or living in a shelter.

Attendance Policy for Financial Aid

Regular class attendance is required for students receiving financial aid. If a student fails to begin attendance or stops attending classes (unofficial withdrawal), financial aid may be reduced or cancelled.

At the end of each semester students who fail to earn credit (F-grade) for coursework are reviewed. Students who receive an F-grade because they never attended class will have all financial aid cancelled. Students who receive an F-grade because they stopped attending class may have their financial aid reduced based on a Return of Title IV calculation. Students who earned an F-grade will not be affected by this policy. An F-grade may affect a student’s Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.

This policy applies to consortium students attending Walsh and a community college. Attendance will be reviewed for courses at both schools to determine if the grades were caused by a failure to attend.

When will I receive my financial aid?

If the student has been determined eligible to receive financial aid including scholarships, grants and loans, funds will be applied after the end of the drop/add period each semester. You must be enrolled at least half-time after the drop/add period for payment to be applied to your account.

> Learn more